PhD (Development Studies) and a M.Sc. Social research Methods (Development Studies) from the university of Sussex (United Kingdom), A Post-graduate Diploma in Poverty Analysis for Socio-economic Security and Development from the Institute of Social Studies-The Hague, Holland in collaboration with the Economic and Social Research Foundation (ESRF)-Tanzania and Research on Poverty Alleviation (REPOA)-Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, an MSc. and B.Sc. (Agriculture) from Sokoine University of Agriculture (SUA) and a Diploma in Dairy Husbandry from Livestock Training Institute (LITI) Tengeru
- A gendered analysis of climate variability impacts and adaptations in Semi-arid area farming systems and natural Resources management (This research is being sponsored by EPINAV- SUA).
- Smallholders’ commercialization of maize production and food security: A case study of Rukwa Region (This research is being sponsored by iAGRI.
- Research on Poverty Alleviation (REPOA) –Dar es Salaam, Grant to conduct a research on: Maize Market Liberalization and Poverty Reduction in Rural Areas: A case Study of Rukwa Region, Tanzania.
- Research on Poverty Alleviation (REPOA) –Dar es Salaam, Grant to conduct a research on: Effectiveness of Credit on Poverty Alleviation in the Southern Highlands of Tanzania.
Urassa has been involved in various consultancy works as a team member. These include,
- facilitation/training on issues of transformative leadership and food security for AFRICA LEAD II (A USAID Funded Project);
- End line Evaluation for the Project Enhanced Homestead Food Production in Mwanza Region. The work has been commissioned by Hellen Keller International;
- Tracking Agriculture Spending: A Case Study of Kilombero District, Morogoro Region. The work was commissioned Tanzania’s Economic and Social Research Foundation (ESRF);
- Developing draft documents for the establishment of a University College by the East Tanzania Conference of The Southern Tanzania Seventh Day Adventist Union (This was more of a voluntary activity) and c.
- Grace Makingi and Justin K. Urassa (2017). Socio-Economic Factors Influencing Use of Improved Technologies by Smallholder Paddy Farmers in Kilombero District, Tanzania. AJAR (American Journal of Agricultural Research) (2017), 2:4
- Tatu Said Mnimbo, Joyce Lyimo-Macha, Justin Urassa, Frieder Graef (2017). Gendered Impact Assessment on Food Securing Upgrading Strategies: Results from Three Methodological Approaches.Developing Country Studies.http://iiste.org/Journals/index.php/DCS/article/view/35298/36320.pdf
- 非洲发展研究（2016）/ African Development Studies, Vol. 32, 2016, p 10 - 19
- Msinde, John Victor, Urassa, Justin K. and Nathan, Iben (2016). Off-farm employment and income poverty in favourable agro-climatic areas of Tanzania. Developing Country Studies, 2016, Vol 6, Issue 6, p. 47-60
- Patricia Mwesiga Lyatuu and Justin Kalisti Urassa (2016). Land Access, Livelihood Strategies and Rural Household Well-being in Mvomero District, Tanzania. Journal of Natural Resources and Development. 2016; 06; 46 - 54
- Msangya, Msangya. L; Urassa, Justin K.; Mahonge, Christopher, P. (2015). Role of Heifer In-Trust schemes in Smallholder Household’s Well-Being in Semi-Arid Region of Shinyanga, Tanzania. (RJSSM), Vol 5 (1), p 196 – 204
- Urassa, J. K., Sikira, A. and Kazuzuru, B. (2015). Smallholders’ commercialization of maize production and food security: A case study of Rukwa Region. Community Development Journal (CDJ). Volume-2, Issue-2, 94-123
- Msuta, Pelmina and Urassa, J. K. (2015). The Contribution of Farmers’ Organizations to Smallholder Farmers’ Well-Being: A Case Study of Kasulu District, Tanzania. African Journal of Agricultural Research. Volume 10, Issue 23, 2343-2349
Books and Book Chapters
- Urassa, J.K., Nombo, C.I., Synnevàg, G., Mamiro, D. P., Kabote, S. J., Mattee, A. Z., Mbwambo, J. S. and Masolwa, L. (2016). Athari za Mabadiliko ya Tabia Nchi kwa Mtizamo wa Kijinsia. Sokoine University of Agriculture (SUA). ISBN 978-9976-9930-2-8
- CI Nombo, SJ Kabote, DP Mamiro, G Synnevåg, AZ Mattee, JK Urassa, L Matata (2015). Adaptation to Climate Change: Changing Gender Relations in the Meatu and Iramba Districts in Tanzania. In R. Lal et al. (eds) Sustainable Intensification to Advance Food Security and Enhance Climate Resilience in Africa. ISBN: 978-3-319-09359-8 (Print) 978-3-319-09360-4 (Online), pp 587-599
- Justin K. Urassa (2012).Diversification of Rural Livelihood Strategies in Tanzania: The Contribution of Maize Farming to Rural Households' Well-being. Saarbrucken, Germany, LAP LAMBERT Academic Publishing GmbH & C. KG. ISBN-13: 978-3-659-15165-1, ISBN-10: 3659151653, pp 116
- Justin K. Urassa (2012). A review of Tanzania’s Agriculture fiftyyears after independence: In: Justin K. Urassa (Ed.) A Review of 50 years of Tanzania Mainland’s Independence: An Analysis of Some Key Development Issues, Saarbrucken, Germany, LAP LAMBERT Academic Publishing GmbH & C. KG, pp 4-35. ISBN-10: 3659210595, ISBN-13: 978-3659210594
- Samwel J. Kabote, Justin J. Ringo, Justin K. Urassa and Tumaini Allan (2012). Rethinking Poverty and Population Dynamics in Tanzania. In: Justin K. Urassa (Ed.) A Review of 50 years of Tanzania Mainland’s Independence: An Analysis of Some Key Development Issues, Saarbrucken, Germany, LAP LAMBERT Academic Publishing GmbH & C. KG, pp 59-77. ISBN-10: 3659210595, ISBN-13: 978-3659210594
Other Research writings
- Urassa, J.K. (2010). Rural household livelihoods, crop production and well-being after a period of trade reforms: a case study of Rukwa, Tanzania. Thesis submitted to the University of Sussex in partial fulfillment of the requirements for the degree of Doctor of Philosophy
- Urassa, J. K. Unpublished
- Urassa, J. K. (2005). Heifer In-trust Schemes and Poverty Reduction in Rural Areas: A case study of Arumeru District. Unpublished Research Paper forthe Post-graduate Diploma in Poverty Analysis for Socioeconomic Security and Development, Institute of Social Studies-The Hague, Holland, Economic and Social Research Foundation (ESRF)-Tanzania and Research on Poverty Alleviation (REPOA)-Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
- Urassa, J. K. (1999). A Study of The Factors Influencing Milk output of Dairy Cattle Under Smallholder Farms in Tanga. Unpublished Dissertation for M.Sc. Agriculture Course, Department of Animal Science and Production, Sokoine University of Agriculture, Morogoro, Tanzania, pp 131.
- Urassa, J. K. (1995). Mkata Ranch Vegetation Characteristics. Unpublished Special Project for B. Sc. Agriculture Course, Department of Animal Science and Production, Sokoine University of Agriculture, Morogoro, Tanzania, pp 35.