- Academic background
- Research projects
- Seminar/workshops, conferences
- Community services
Abdulkarim Shaban Mhandeni is a Lecturer in the Department of Language Studies, one of the Departments in the College of Social Sciences and Humanities of Sokoine University of Agriculture. He holds a Certificate in Education (Mtwara Technical Teachers’ Training College), a Bachelor of Arts with Education degree specializing in Linguistics and Literature (University of Dar es Salaam) and a Master of Arts in Linguistics (University of Dar es Salaam. In addition to the teaching of English and Communication Skills courses, he has published number of works in his areas of specialization (visit: https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=pKSma9QAAAAJ&hl=en).
Areas of expertise and research interests
- Second Language Teaching (SLT)
- Language and Gender
- Academic writing
- Language Policy and Planning
- Critical Thinking
2. B.A Education, University of Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
3. Advanced Level Secondary Education, Tanzania
4. Certicate in Education, Mtwara Technical Teacher's Training College, Tanzania
5. Ordinary Level Secondary Education, Tanzania
- Study visit for improving the teaching of English language and communication skills courses to support the provision of quality education at SUA.
- Supervisor, student’s research projects at Bachelor’s degree level, SUA
1. Mwakapina, J.W., Nyinondi, O. S; &Mhandeni, S.A (2016).WhatsApp Mobile Tool in English as Second Language Learning: Opportunities,
potentials and challenges in higher education settings in Tanzania. International Journal of English Language Teaching (IJELT).Vol.4 (2).
2. Ndiritu,M.; Jiwaji, N.T.;Mhandeni, A.S.; Mito,O.C.(2016). Kiswahili translation on the scientific and space-related
3. Nyinondi, O.S.,Mhandeni, A.S.,& Mohamed, H. I. (2017). The use of communicative language teaching approach in the teaching of
communication skills courses in Tanzanian universities. International journal of research studies in language learning.Vol. 6 (3),
4. Utenga, A; Mohamed, H I.; Nyinondi, O. S; Mhandeni, S.A (2016).The Role of Input Simplification and In teractional Modification
Strategies in English as Foreign Language Classrooms.Journal oLinguistics and Language Teaching, 7(1).
January 2015; Training workshop on Curriculum Development, Morogoro, Tanzania
- Instructor, Swahili and English language courses at SUACAIL, SUA.
- Chairperson, Social Affairs Commettee, College of Social Sciences and Humanities, SUA.